The wisest investment a person can make is an investment in the life of another person. We have a golden opportunity to affect and influence the lives of others by taking the time to mentor. The Titus 2 relationship is one that fulfills God’s command to teach the women who are younger than us and thus, influence lives and future generations. If you are seeking a life of significance, think about the impact you can have on our world by mentoring. Consider the ways that God can use you to mentor.
What are the Characteristics of a Mentor?
* A mentor is not necessarily someone who is older in years, but is one who is ahead in her walk with the Lord and in mothering.
* Mentoring can be informal. It means being available, sharing insights, thoughts, perspective and walking alongside another woman in her journey.
* A mentor listens to her mentee and prays with her.
* A mentor doesn’t have to know all the answers, but she points her mentee in the direction of the One who can provide all answers (Christ).
* A mentor is real – sharing her own past mistakes, hurts, failures and disappointments, as well as sharing how she got through those times.
* Use your own gifts and talents to mentor – not everyone will mentor in the same way.
What Mentoring has Meant to Me
* It has been a joy to see those whom I’ve mentored go on to mentor others.
* It is a blessing to observe growth and development in the lives of the women whom I’ve mentored.
* Seeing the women develop a hunger and passion for God’s Word, for spiritual fellowship with one another, and for seeking a true intimacy with God has encouraged me.
* “Iron sharpens iron.” The women I have mentored have sharpened me – I have had to “walk the walk and talk the talk” by being an example to them.
Paula Daniel, married to Doug for 27 years. Mother of two sons, Paul (24) and Kyle (18) and two very lively dogs. Became an empty-nester this year and after an adjustment period grew to enjoy the extra time for my husband. I enjoy Precepts Bible studies and mentoring younger women, especially young mothers. I’ve discovered Pilates this year and am enjoying it very much.