First of all… what is a Gravatar? I asked the same thing not so long ago. It sounded like a horrible thing, and I wasn’t really sure I wanted something that sounded like that. But I’ve found out it is something quite friendly. And it helps the people around the web know you as friendly, too!
A gravatar is simply a picture, image or icon you use to identify yourself with around the web. You may have been to blogs and noticed that many of the people commenting have pictures beside their names. That image is their Gravatar.
The benefits of having a Gravatar are twofold. First, it makes signing into anything fairly standard. Second, it helps people recognize you.
Gravatars are not necessary for leaving comments, but it does make them more personal.
Getting a Gravatar is easy. Here is the step-by-step way to get your own:
1. Click on this link: http://en.gravatar.com/
2. There you will find a button that says ‘Get your Gravatar today’. Click on that button.
3. You will be taken to a page where you will be asked to type in your email address. This is how the blogs will recognize you. When you’ve typed in your address, click the ‘Signup’ button.
4. You’ll then see a notification that says you have been sent an email. So go check your email and click on the link that is provided in your email. (We’ll still be here when you get back!)
5. Once you’ve clicked on that link you will be taken to a screen where you need to choose a user name. This must be all lowercase letters with no spaces or punctuation. This won’t work: Carla Anne Coroy. But this might: carlaannecoroy. Choose this name carefully as you will be known by this name all over the internet. If you want to use your real name for some things and a secret name for others you will need to have a different email address attached to each of them.
6. Add a password that you will remember easily, and then re-enter it where indicated.
7. Hit the ‘Signup’ button once that’s completed.
8. If your password was not secure enough, you may be asked to choose a different one.
9. You will be taken to the Manage Gravatars page and will have the opportunity to choose an image. Click on the ‘Add One by clicking Here’ link.
10. Choose where you’d like to get your picture from and click on that box.
11. Once you have chosen or taken your photo, click next.
12. On the next step you will be able to crop your photo. Make it look just like you want it and then click ‘Crop and Finish!’
13. The next step is important… you will be asked to rate your image. We hope you’ve used an image that can be rated G! This rating helps keep internet users safe. Some ratings will be blocked by filters to keep innocent eyes pure.
14. You are DONE!
15. Now to check if it’s working, leave a comment below telling us if this post was helpful and what else you’d like us to show you how to do. We’d love to see your new Gravatar!
To leave a comment:
• If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
• Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
• Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
• Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
• When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!