As a mom, sometimes one of the most taxing things is coming to the evening and trying to decide what to cook for dinner. Here are a few shortcuts you can take ahead of time to make meal time easier.
1. Make menus for the month or by the week.
2. Look for recipes where you can cook meat ahead and use in several different dishes. Cook a hen and do dumplings, chicken casserole, and soup, for example: Crockpot Chicken & Dumplings Spicy Chicken and Sweet Potato Fall Soup
4. Make your shopping list and buy what you need for the menu. This prevents frustration when you plan but have one ingredient missing.
5. Plan foods according to budget and what is in season. Fresh vegetables can make a meal!
6. When preparing meals, have a sink of soapy water ready to wash dishes as you go.
7. Plan and fix ahead so you don’t have to worry on busy nights. Do as much meal prep ahead as possible such as mixing dry ingredients, chopping vegetables to be cooked and storing in plastic bags in fridge, or even cooking ahead to have it ready to heat.
8. Use prepared foods for a little help, such as fajita meat already seasoned or fully cooked meat to heat and serve.
With a little prior planning and preparation, you can make mealtime both affordable and easier for you and your family.