Before summer fades away, consider having a teddy bear picnic. Set a table inside, or throw a blanket on the grass outdoors. Decorate with teddy bears and serve these scones with lemonade or tea. If you have the music for “The Teddy Bears’ Picnic,” play it for background music.
(If your browser does not play the video of The Teddy Bears’ Picnic, click here.)
Mostly, have a bear-y good time with your little ones!
Lydia’s Bear-y Good Scones
These taste yummy with a “smackerel” of honey.
1 box scone mix (or your favorite recipe)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon soft butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or lemon flavoring
1. Mix scones according to package directions.
2. Add blueberries, and mix in gently.
3. Roll scone dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 12 circles with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
4. Place 8 of the scones on an ungreased baking sheet to make teddy bear heads.
5. Cut the other 4 scones into four pie-shaped pieces each to make teddy bear ears.
6. Attach two pieces on each circle and shape to look like rounded ears.
7. Bake according to package directions.
8. While scones bake, combine glaze ingredients and mix with spoon.
9. Remove baked scones from oven and cool slightly.
10. While still warm, frost scones with a thin layer of glaze. Add chocolate chips for eyes and a nose to each scone.
11. Serve with butter and honey.
Makes 8 scones.
“When you suddenly go into someone’s house and he says, ‘ . . .You’re just in time for a little smackerel of something’ . . . then it’s what I call a Friendly Day.” Winnie-the-Pooh, The House at Pooh Corner, A. A. Milne.