The love affair between Joy Davidman and C. S. Lewis is one of the remarkable romance stories of the last century. The two met when Joy, who was an American, began reading her sons the books that C. S. Lewis, a scholar at Oxford, had written for children. Eventually Joy Davidman asked C. S. “Jack” Lewis if he would marry her simply to make her legally eligible for British citizenship. Lewis agreed, and after a civil ceremony the two went their separate ways.
Later Joy discovered she had cancer. During her treatment, she and Jack fell in love. They were married in a Christian ceremony in her hospital room. For the remainder of their brief marriage, they experienced a depth of love and commitment neither had believed possible. Lewis grieved her loss for the rest of his life. He had come so close to missing the pearl of great price God had placed in his life.
God has given you a mate of rare value and beauty. Do you value your mate for the treasure he is? Have you come to appreciate your spouse as the priceless gift of God in your life?
It’s still not too late.
Thank God for entrusting to your care a great treasure.
“When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!” Matthew 13:45-46
Remember, marriage is for better for worse for keeps.
To leave a comment:
- If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
- Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
- Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
- When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!