I have noticed personally and in talking with friends over the years, that Mother’s Day can be a difficult day for many. This sometimes is due in part to expectations of a particular gift, a special dinner, the vision of how your family will honor you, or some type of celebration you have in mind that does not materialize.
Here’s what I learned many years ago that totally changed my expectations on Mother’s Day:
Since it is such a joy and honor to be a mother, I use the occasion to write a personal letter to eachof my children, telling them how blessed I am to be their mother. I also point out attributes and character qualities I admire. This is a great time to recall specific examples demonstrated in their lives. In addition, I list skills and talents I see in them and say something like, “You’re my favorite 10- year- old in the world” or “I hope you have a child like you one day.”
This letter (short or long, typed or handwritten) is given to them during meal time.
By the way, I personally do not enjoy going out to lunch on Mother’s Day because of the crowd, long waits, and loud atmosphere. Thankfully, my husband and kids do the meal for me. (If this was not the case, I just might prefer eating out.)
When at home, gathered around our dining room table (not necessarily on Mother’s Day), I read aloud each child’s letter. While glancing into their eyes, I end it with, “I love you and I’m glad I’m your Mom.”
There have been years when their letter is placed under their plate or in a special box at each child’s seat. Sometimes they read them silently to themselves. However, my favorite way is to share aloud the worth of each child with the whole family.
To leave a comment:
- If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
- Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
- Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
- When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!