I struggle in the month of October.
There seems to always be a scary movie on television and many things around celebrating dark and evil things in the world. As a believer I struggle to know how to meet these dark images in a way that honors God.
Ephesians 6:10-12 says, “Last of all I want to remind you that your strength must come from the Lord’s mighty power within you. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand safe against all strategies and tricks of Satan. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against persons without bodies—the evil rulers of the unseen world, those mighty satanic beings and great evil princes of darkness who rule this world; and against huge numbers of wicked spirits in the spirit world.”
I want to know how to face this season standing in God’s strength.
Here are some things that may help us to keep our focus on Jesus during this time.
· Place verses of Scripture around your home within eyesight of all.
· Limit television viewing.
· Decorate your home with harvest décor that reminds you of God’s provision for you and your family.
· Practice thanksgiving even before the Thanksgiving season. In my home I have a tree complete with orange lights and fall leaves. Under the tree I have a container where each person who enters our home writes down something they are thankful for.
· Look for specific ways you and your family can give to those in need. With cold weather setting in, many shelters are looking for coats, blankets, and warm bedding. Take cocoa or tea to service personnel such as police officers and firemen.
· Ephesians reminds us to put on the full armor of God. Teach your family what that is and how they can be “dressed up” each day. (Ephesians 6:13-18)
· Spend time daily praying for the persecuted church around the world.
During this time when Satan has much more limelight lets shine brightly for Christ.