I have made a covenant with my eyes. Job 31:1
The internet is a wonderful tool for ministry, education, networking and entertainment. But it also poses significant dangers. Thanks to the home computer and the internet, the pornography industry is growing by leaps and bounds.
Have you taken steps to protect your family? We cannot afford to bury our heads in the sand. Did you know….
- The largest group of viewers of Internet porn is children between ages 12 and 17 (Family Safe Media, December 15, 2005).
- Pornographers disguise their sites with common brand names and misspellings designed to entrap people. (examples: ESPN and Disney). (Source-surveillance study, March 1999).
- In 2001, a study by the Kaiser Family Foundation discovered among all online youth ages 15-17: (GenerationRx.com) that 70% say they have accidentally stumbled across pornography online.
- The average age of first exposure to Internet porn is 8 (Family Safe Media, December 15, 2005).
- Most often, children are exposed to internet pornography while trying to do their homework.
These statistics, and many more, can be found on the Covenant Eyes website.
Pornography is an insidious trap. Often children are exposed to it accidentally the first time, yet it lodges like a barb in the heart which continues to leak poison. As wives and mothers, we need to take the time to understand the dangers and to provide a hedge of protection for our families. The first step is to eliminate internet pornography from the home.
Covenant Eyes offers both accountability and filtering, with multiple-user discounts for households and ministries. Filtering allows you to set user names and passwords for each person in your household, determining which sites will be allowed and during what hours of the day the internet can be accessed. The filtering software is flexible to allow for complete customization for each user. Covenant Eyes also offers accountability software, which monitors Internet usage and then emails a report about every website that was accessed to one or two trusted Accountability Partners. The reports also provide scoring, allowing accountability partners to recognize immediately questionable websites, searches and more.
Click here to read details about Covenant Eyes Accountability Software and Filtering Software.
To leave a comment:
- If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
- Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
- Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
- When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!