*Affiliate links contained in post.
It’s that time of year again. The time where everyone asks, “have you made any New Years resolutions?” I remember years ago making a resolution to read God’s word through in that year. I had tried it before and found little success. However, this time I found a friend to make the journey of reading God’s word daily with me. My friend had been reading the Bible through for several years, and for her it was just a matter of mentoring me. Here are some things I learned that kept me on task for completing my goal.
* Choose a plan that works for you. You can choose a read through the Bible plan online, purchase a one year Bible or ask a friend what plan has worked for them. The Anchoring Deep in God’s Word Facebook group that I and Cindy Sampson lead, will be reading Reading God’s Story: A Chronological Daily Bible. Depending on your reading preference, hardcover, paperback, Kindle, audio (free) and iPhone/iPad is available. However, if you do not wish to purchase this particular Bible, use your own. Simply print out the reading plan.
* Choose a specific time each day to read. For me it is just before I go to bed at night. I then take time each morning to write my friends about what I read the night before. You might do better reading in the morning or even at break time during the day. The important thing is keep your appointed time. The plan we will use with Reading God’s Story even has a built in reflection day. This means there will be six days of reading followed by one for meditation (or catch up!).
* Choose a place that is convenient and has everything you will need.
* Choose a way to stay accountable daily. It is much easier to stay on track and know what to read daily. You may also want to join us on Anchoring Deep and write a quick post about what you learned or what stood out to you that day.
* Choose to keep going. If you miss a day or two do not get discouraged or even try to go back and read what you’ve missed. Just start where you are supposed to read that day. Trying to catch up can get overwhelming quickly. Forgive yourself and pick up where you are supposed to be in your program. You will be much more likely to complete your plan! Using these tips allowed me to reach my goal not just that year, but for many years since.
Want to join us this year in reading God’s Word? Here are the details:
Reading God’s Story, Hardcover: A Chronological Daily Bible Created by Dr. George Guthrie, this plan takes the material of the Bible and organizes it to flow in chronological order. Since exact dating of some material or events is not possible, the chronology simply represents an attempt to give you, the reader, the general flow and development of the Bible’s grand story. Some passages are placed according to topic (e.g., John 1:1-3 in Week 1, Day 2; and many of the Psalms). There are six readings for each week to give you space for catching up when needed.
There is a pdf file of the daily readings. This can be printed out and placed in your Bible to check off daily. It also includes an abbreviated form for those who are not quite ready to tackle the whole plan, but who want to read through the highlights of the Story of Scripture. The abbreviated plan is in parenthesis.
Start Date: January 1, 2015. Reflection day will be Wednesday of each week.
Invite: I encourage you to ask others you know to join us as we journey together in reading God’s Story. I find this a great way to help disciple others in their faith walks as we discuss what God shows each of us in the readings.
Delving Deeper: There is a sermon series by Dr. David Platt that corresponds to the week of reading for those who want to go deeper. Both audio and video are available for free.
Will you be joining us this year?