“Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other, let us show the truth by our actions.” I John 3: 18 NLT
Even after graduating from college, I still had much to learn. Thankfully, I also had a willing teacher: our family cat, Thor.
We learn the great lessons of life in many ways. When animals teach, they come straight to the point. Thor taught by example. Here’s what I learned about showing and expressing love:
* Spend lots of time together…you don’t always need a stimulating conversation or activity. Quiet time together is a good thing.
* When those you love feel bad, show them how much you care. Be near their side.
* Make eye contact. Your emotions are revealed when you look at the one you love.
* Be a good listener. Sometimes you need only listen.
* Show your loyalty and faithfulness at every opportunity. These are gifts money cannot buy.
* Be thankful for the companionship of one another….even if they’re not like you.
The love lessons I’ve learned apply perfectly to people and animals alike. Be a student of love. You’ll be surprised at what you can learn…even from the family pet!
To leave a comment:
- If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
- Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
- Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
- When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!
About Jan Nellis
Jan Nellis is a happily married mom of five children, three of whom are still at home. She spends her free time rediscovering the lost domestic arts with an emphasis on health issues. An avid quilter, crocheter, hand-spinner and cook, her desire is to rekindle the ways of her grandmothers, blessing her friends and family. She has spoken at women’s groups on forgiveness, following God's plan for your life and the joys of living with God. She currently blogs at www.atinylittleripple.blogspot.com.