I was asked recently, “What do you do when people write horrible things about you on Facebook?” That is a question that seems to come up more and more frequently. There is no quick and easy way to find resolution to this problem.
The gospel writer Paul instructed his son in the faith to “Live a life above reproach.” What he was saying is live a godly life following Christlike principles in all you do so that when someone does speak evil against you, the world around you will know it is not true because of your godly character.
Many people who write hateful slurs against others have a consistent pattern of doing so. My mom would say, “consider the source.” There are some who are unkind and even evil by their consistent choices and there is not much you can do about that, but others can see that as well.
I would caution you to be selective as to who you accept as a Facebook friend. If a friend shows signs of anger or violence, quietly remove them from your friend list. I have only done this once, but the person I removed showed signs of anger, quick temper, and posted things I was concerned about. That will protect you and your friends unless they are connected to that same person.
If you are not able to head off hurtful comments, try looking below the surface. Have you offended this person? If so, go make it right. Are they hurting and just lashing out? Pray for them and, if it is appropriate, help them. Sometimes it is not appropirate nor advisable. Just let it go and ask God to give you peace. The best advice of all is to pray, pray, pray and ask God for wisdom. Remember, there are times that you can’t “solve the problem.” In those times stay quiet and steer clear. Proverbs tells us that without wood a fire goes out, and the same can be true of flammable relationships.
To leave a comment:
- If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
- Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
- Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
- When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!