Spring grilling season is underway and one of my favorite side dishes is dressed-up canned baked beans. There isn’t a recipe per say–just a few tips and ideas for you to create your own bean masterpiece.
Pour the canned beans into a baking dish. No need for a bowl, just mix it in the dish. To the beans, add three to four squirts of yellow mustard and double that amount in BBQ sauce. As for the BBQ sauce, use whatever you’re grilling with that day.
While perfectly great at this point, sometimes I open the fridge door and start cleaning out by adding one or all of the following:
* chopped onion,
* chopped green pepper
* browned ground beef / turkey (you can even take a leftover grilled burger and crumble up in the beans)
* cooked bacon crumbled up or uncooked strips placed on top to bake
* brown sugar for additional sweetness
This is a kitchen-sink recipe. Practically everything but the kitchen sink will work. Once you’ve created your fancy, dressed-up beans cover them with aluminum foil and bake in the oven until bubbly at 350 degrees. If you use raw bacon on top, make sure it is done.
Sorry there is not a pretty picture of the beans baked–we ate them!
To leave a comment:
- If you are reading this post in email form, click the article headline. This will take you to the article on MMCW’s website.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled ‘Speak Your Mind’.
- Enter your name, email (it will not be published) and your website or blogsite if you have one (you do not have to have one).
- Click on the big empty space and then begin typing your comments.
- When you are done, click ‘submit comment’. That’s it! We look forward to hearing from YOU!
About Kellie Renfroe
Kellie and her husband Greg have been married 32 years and have four children ranging in age from 17 to 28. She co-founded Mentoring Moments for Christian Women in 2005. Kellie is a homeschooling mom who enjoys reading, studying the Bible, writing, photography, and learning how to cook.
- Web |
- More Posts(342)